Discussion: View Thread

Join us for a PDW titled: "Who am I, and What am I Doing? Crafting a Research Identity Narrative for Academic Career Transition"

• 1.  Join us for a PDW titled: "Who am I, and What am I Doing? Crafting a Research Identity Narrative for Academic Career Transition"

Posted 06-16-2022 14:58

Ever wrestled with how to succinctly and compellingly communicate who you are and what you do as a researcher? 

Join us in Seattle (hybrid session) on Friday, August 5th from 1-3pm in an exciting new PDW titled: "Who am I, and What am I Doing?  Crafting a Research Identity Narrative for Academic Career Transition"

Professor Herminia Ibarra will kick off our discussion with a keynote presentation grounded in her research and personal experience.

We have organized a diverse set of panelists from around the globe who will then share insights, grounded in their personal experience, on how they craft their own research identity narratives.

Our final activity is limited to 60 participants (so apply early!) where you will receive feedback from one of our panelists on your own research identity narrative.

Designed for early career scholars and PhD students but relevant for anyone who is navigating a transition.

We are looking forward to a lively and highly practical discussion.

See you in Seattle (or on-line from Seattle),

Krista (on behalf of our organizing team)

Session Type: PDW Workshop
    Program Session: 165 | Submission: 10117 | Sponsor(s): (SAP, OMT, CAR, MOC, OB, TIM)
    Session Format: Hybrid Interactive: Seattle + Virtual, Zoom "meeting" style
    Scheduled: Friday, Aug 5 2022 1:00PM - 3:30PM PT (UTC-7) at Seattle Convention Center in Room 201

Who am I, and What am I Doing? Crafting a Research Identity Narrative for Academic Career Transition
    Crafting a Research Identity Narrative

Organizer: Krista PettitIvey Business School 
    Organizer: Fannie CoutureHEC Montreal 
    Organizer: Renate KratochvilBI Norwegian Business School 
    Organizer: Sophie Elizabeth JanéUmeå School of Business, Economics, and Statistics 
    Speaker: Herminia IbarraLondon Business School 
    Panelist: David OliverU. Of Sydney 
    Panelist: Katharina DittrichWarwick Business School 
    Panelist: Tammar B. ZilberHebrew U. of Jerusalem 
    Panelist: Stephanie J. CrearyThe Wharton School, U. of Pennsylvania 
    Panelist: Ravi S. KudesiaFox School of Business, Temple U. 
    Panelist: Keimei SugiyamaU. of wisconsin milwaukee 

Early career academics face many challenging transitions such as moving from industry to academia, from student to faculty, or from pre to post tenure. Research highlights how crafting an identity narrative can play an important role in overcoming challenges during critical career transitions (Ibarra & Lineback, 2005). This Professional Development Workshop (PDW) focuses on how doctoral students and early career scholars can effectively craft their research identity narrative. That is, the way in which people construct and communicate their "professional image and identity" (Ibarra, 1999, p. 764). This PDW is designed to be part of the 2022 SAP Doctoral & Early Career Program and is tailored to PhD students and early career scholars (pre-tenure). However, the topic can be of interest to junior scholars from a wide range of interest groups. The PDW is divided into three parts: (1) Keynote: Professor Herminia Ibarra, an expert in identity narratives, will provide participants with an exclusive pre-recorded presentation on how to craft an effective research narrative; (2) Panel: A panel comprised of six diverse scholars will share their experiences crafting their research identity narrative; (3) Roundtable discussion: Participants will be asked to prepare a 1-minute research identity narrative 'pitch' and attend a roundtable where they receive feedback from the panelists and fellow participants on their narrative. We will end the workshop with a Q&A and insights from the roundtable discussions.

Please note that participation on the roundtable discussion is capped at 60. To register, potential participants must provide a brief (150 words) research identity narrative 'pitch' for their most relevant career transition (e.g. student to faculty) and one or two questions that they hope the session will address. On your submission please indicate 'in- person', 'on-line' or 'undecided' so we can allocate to roundtables accordingly. Please email your submission to kpettit@ivey.ca

------------------------------
    Krista Pettit
    Ivey Business School
    ------------------------------