Discussion: View Thread

Deadline Approaching for the Best Methods Bootcamp

• 1.  Deadline Approaching for the Best Methods Bootcamp

Posted 17 days ago

Following our popular "Best Methods" PhD course, Brent Goldfarb and I (Evan Starr) are offering a virtual, "Best Methods Bootcamp" from June 17-18, 20-21, 2024 from 9 am to 2 pm EDT. 

The bootcamp is targeted to PhD students in strategy and management, though any post-docs or other faculty are welcome to sign up as well. Rolling applications should be submitted by May 17, 2024, via this form. Slots are limited and filling up, so please apply soon.

A flyer for the bootcamp is here, and a more detailed syllabus is here.  

Our goal is to help ensure that the next generation of management and strategy scholars have a solid empirical foundation, so that they can be better producers and consumers (and reviewers/editors) of empirical work. Accordingly, the bootcamp covers the major issues and methods in causal inference and related issues. 

Over the years we have honed a unique pedagogical approach to maximize understanding while minimizing entry barriers to econometrics. It relies on simple algebra, DAGs, and monte carlo methods, which we have found to be highly effective in our Ph.D. methods seminar. A recent graduate skeptical of the course title wrote to us in an e-mail "I could not have wished for a better course. Indeed, for me, this is the Best Methods Class Ever, Really!"

The cost is $995 for the bootcamp. Should funding be an important barrier to attendance, we have some funds that could help cover student costs. Students can indicate their need for funds in the application.

Student questions can also be emailed to rhsmith-bestmethods@umd.edu

------------------------------
    Evan Starr
    University of Maryland
    College Park MD
    ------------------------------